The Persuaders

In class this week I watched Frontline's documentary titled The Persuaders.  As our media expands the job of the advertising industry changes constantly.  The film discusses the new challenges that these companies face, and strategies they have come up with.  Although the film is outdated, some of the techniques mentioned are still being used today.  One example would be product placement in films and TV shows.  A few examples I can remember from my own viewing would be the Kardashians, and Jurassic World.  The Kardashians are the perfect example of product placement the whole show is based around their "life" but there are so many little things that are influenced my product placement: the phones they use, the shoes they wear etc.  The movie Jurassic World is similar.  The characters all use the same brand of cell phone, and drive the same brand of car.  It's pretty obvious that they are product placement when the shots make sure that you can see the brand.  The documentary made me really open my eyes to what I am watching.  It makes me curious to see how many episodes of television I have watched centered around a certain product. 

Photos:
https://image.pbs.org/video-assets/pbs/frontline/195441/images/mezzanine_680.jpg
https://i2.wp.com/www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/wp-content/uploads/2004/11/Persuaders.jpg?resize=1200%2C630

Comments

  1. I think your comment on shows such as keeping up with the Kardashians is very interesting. The whole show is based around the idea that it is showing the true aspects of life for the rich and famous, and so when there is a product used, then people think that is actually what they use and prefer to use, even though it most likely is there because they were paid to use it. I haven't really watched it so i'm not entirely sure, but it seems like a very interesting cycle of money and advertising to look into, especially with the whole Kendall and Pepsi controversy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on "MissRepresentation"

Pet Social Media Stars?

Thoughts on "Merchants of Cool"